PvPGN (Player vs Player Gaming Network) is a free and open source software project offering emulation of various gaming network servers. It is published under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and based upon bnetd. PvPGN was a recommended project of the month in the August 2005 issue of Linux+ magazine.
PvPGN currently supports most features of all Battle.net clients (Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, StarCraft, StarCraft: Brood War, Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne). It also offers basic support for Westwood Studios Online clients (Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge). Westwood Online support is still very experimental in the stable branch of PvPGN code. See list of supported clients for full list and minimum version requirement.
- FreeBSD 4.x 5.x 6.x 7.x 8.x
- Linux 2.4 and 2.6 kernel
- Mac OS X 10.2 and up
- Microsoft Windows 5x/6x kernel (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Window 7 Ultimate Beta, Windows Home Server)
- Should easily support any POSIX platform (Tested on 32 and 64 bit platforms, various integer byte endings, etc)
- Hosting a local tournament with local users and ladders.
- Maintaining a local community of friends rather than playing on Battle.net.
- For people who want to play on a LAN but with Battle.net-like statistics. Various cyber cafes use a PvPGN server for this purpose.
- For people who want to play on a server within their country or local area, so as to reduce lag.